Wednesday, February 13, 2013

5 Months Post-Op

Everything is adjusting well. Unfortunately I still snore, the surgery didn't correct that. My nose is "settling" into place and my old curve is becoming more noticeable. It's not as pronounced as it was but I can still see it. The main (and most important) thing is that I have both nasal passages open.

I'm still very glad I got the surgery. My self-esteem has been boosted. I didn't realize how much I didn't like my nose being curved. It's also nice for when I get sick. When one passage is blocked, I have the other to rely on. I would 100% recommend this surgery to anyone considering it. The benefits outweigh the recovery time. I'm not sure I'll ever get my curve fixed straight but I'm happy with the results.

My nose is becoming less sensitive. The base is still a little stiff but every month it gets better and better. I can no longer tell when it's going to snow either. I am still using the non-petroleum based jelly for my nose. I don't use it everyday but it helps with the snoring.

Here's me 5 months post surgery!



6 comments:

  1. Hi! I just went to the health office at my school and found out I have a deviated septum too. It makes sense, because my nose seems to bend, or curve, more to one side, and so there is like a zig zag shape going on between the aesthetic line of my nose and that area of skin under your nose and above your upper lip (I don't know what it's called). Anyways, I was wondering if insurance covered your surgery to have your septum fixed? And if so, how badly do you think it has to be so that you can prove you need the surgery?
    Also, the main reason I want to get my septum fixed is for vanity, really. I don't want to have a crooked shape to my facial features, especially my nose. How well do you feel the surgery has addressed the aesthetic aspect of having a deviated septum? I am very interested to know.

    Thanks and I'd love to hear back from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Evan,
      My insurance did cover my surgery because my doctor called it a "functional septorhinoplasty". By having the curvature in your nose you might be able to qualify for the same type of surgery I had. Basically it's a septoplasty but the doctor breaks your nose back into place to straighten it out so you can breath better. If you wanted cosmetic things done to it, say shaving your nose, your insurance wont cover it. Go to the ENT doc and let them know what you want and ask them to contact your insurance company so you can get an approval to see if you can get your zig-zag out.

      The surgery mostly fixed the aesthetic aspect of my nose. It's not totally straight but it's only slightly curved compared to what it was. If I wanted to get it completely straight I would have to get a rhinoplasty. The nice thing about a septorhinoplasty is usually your insurance will help cover costs.

      Delete
  2. Wow you would be surprised how little information there is about the recovery from Septoplasty. I'm going in for the surgery in a month. I now have an idea what to look forward to. Thanks for doing this blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the blog. I am going for Septoplasty surgery day after tommorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Erica! I remember that picture. I think I was there at the New Belgium tour with those barrels in the background. This is Nick - Cassie's husband and she sent me a link to your blog. I'm having a septoplasty next Wednesday. Kind of nervous because my ENT made it sound like a very easy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nick! Yep that was the New Belgium tour. The septoplasty is like any surgery. It takes time to recover but having a great support system is key! I'm SO SO SO glad I got it done. I breathe better and don't snore as much. The first few days suck but after a week it's leaps and bounds better. Don't be nervous! Cassie will take great care of you. Let me know if you have any questions.

      Delete