Monday, September 17, 2012

Pre-Op

I am going in for a Septoplasty tomorrow. I'm a little freaked out on how long it will take for me to heal and if my face will look different. I was diagnosed with a deviated septum from my ENT. I've had this for years and I finally decided to take action and get it fixed. It's so bad that I can't even breathe from one nasal passage. I can do a flare with my nose though! I'll be a little sad to have it go.

Before photos of my nose! You can really see that curve!



Here's me and why I'm getting the surgery done:



How did I injure myself? Repeated accidents that just made it worse and worse. The major cause was a River Dance fight. Now you're asking what a River Dance fight is right? Well it's exactly what it sounds like. A lot of leg hopping and jumping around with no contact. Except my friend got to close when he was punching and punched me in the nose. I was not pleased. 

Here is an example of what River Dance fighting is:

 

I'm going to be taking photos everyday for my recovery and telling you what it's like and how I feel. I'm anxious right now but it'll be nice to have 2 real breathing passages!

From researching online you need to have a few things ready for post-op. Here's my list:

Post-Op Recovery Essentials 
  • Soft foods (broth, noodles, yogurt, mashed potatoes, applesauce) 
  • Ensure (you might not get the calories you need by only eating soft foods)
  • Saline Spray (for when your nose is dry as heck)
  • Carmex (because I'll be a mouth breather only for about a week)
  • A stack of DVDs or Netflix (from my understanding you wont be sleeping much the first few nights)
  • Soda (because nothing says soothe me like 7-Up)

6 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing your journey! I just found out today that I will be having a septoplasty in about a month and I had no idea what to expect! I will definitely be using your blog as a reference!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, thank you for documenting this. I'm having one next week and, hopefully, all the stuff will be off and out of my nose a week later.....cuz it will be Christmas!!
    I will be starting a blog soon, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see how your experience turns out. Be sure to post the URL to your blog and I'll read it :)

      Delete
  3. Erica I really can't thank you enough for this in depth guide to septoplasty
    In Australia I couldn't find many resources about the operation but I've read this 5-6 times and it is incredible how much effort you have put in to it. I'm so grateful for this to help before my surgery
    Currently 4 days post op
    Cheers,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it helped! When I went through this there wasn't a good blog so I decided to do something about that. I hope you heal up soon!
      Best,
      Erica

      Delete
  4. I had mine today. I can't thank you enough for having this blog. It's very encouraging.

    ReplyDelete